Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Loving Your Lymph

I seem to be talking about the lymphatic system a lot these days.  It's my favorite body system and the unsung hero in maintaining optimal health.  Anyone that hangs out around me long enough, either by taking a class, stopping by the shop or just having tea, eventually all health conversations eventually lead to lymph.

For those of you that have taken classes with Dr Kim Balas and Steven Horne you are probably familiar with the concept of ABC+D.  Well when you give your lymph some TLC you hit all four principles.  Here's how:  It activates the emotional healing response, provides nutrient transport to build, assists with detoxification or cleansing, and works as a direct aid for many ailments.  I find working with the lymphatic system useful for respiratory issues, male & female reproductive challenges, and anyone struggling with multiple emotional blockages.  By the way, if you haven't take this course yet, I highly recommend it if you want to either be a better herbalist or just take better care of yourself.

So when working with the lymph where do you start?  Essential oils and flower essences are a great place to start.  When we talk about different organs holding on to specific emotions I find that the lymph system is very much connected.  So if you find you've been unable to work through a specific emotional concern look to adding some lymphatic support.

Herbally, I love Nature's Sunshine Lymphatic Drainage and Lymphomax and find adding these to any of your herbal protocols will enhance their effectiveness.  Manual lymphatic drainage is very useful.  It is a very light touch, noninvasive therapy, usually performed by a licensed massage therapist.  I personally had a breast fibroid disappear after just one session.

Making good food choices is critical if you want to maintain a healthy lymph system.  Avoiding commercial dairy products is huge.  Most of today's dairy products, organics included is very mucus forming and congests the lymph.  Choose raw dairy from a local farm and take some time to understand the A2 factor.  The Amasai from Beyond Organic seems to be working well for many people.

Lastly, I cannot say enough about the benefits of cultured whey for the lymphatic system.  I've been personally consuming the one from Beyond Organic (Suero Viv) consistently for the past six months and it has become my favorite elixir.  I still drink my kombucha and coconut water but as far as having an affinity for the lymph system nothing comes close.  It's my new "secret" ingredient that seems to be making my herbal protocols all work faster.   Also a great detox option, read my post on The Suero Cleanse.

Whether you are a natural health professional or someone looking to take better care of yourself, I can promise you that the more you understand and love your lymph the better you will look and feel.

No comments: